Monday, May 19, 2014

Louv-Nature Deficit Disorder and the Restorative Environment


"nearly 40 percent of American schools either eliminated or were considering eliminating recess."(Louv 1)

Image Source: Jump!
As an education major I spend plenty of time in schools, interning and observing. One question I find myself often asking is when the children get recess or gym. I’m often disappointed in the response. The majority of schools I have been too do not provide children with the indulgence of having recess and physical education in the same day. P.E is usually once a week. Recess is often only earned with good classroom behavior, or only given on Fridays. One school I went to even had a system of “inside recess”. As this excerpt from Louv supports, I believe that children need time outside with nature, and fresh air to unwind from the day’s work. I believe that school board officials are constantly pushing a harder more academically involved curriculum. School days are longer, and activities that are considered non-academic are being cut. Sadly this includes music, art, gym, and recess. All of which I believe to be vital to a child’s mental and physical health. 


"many parents notice significant changes in their children's stress levels and hyperactivity when they spend time outside" (Louv 4)


Image Source: Children Running
I strongly agree with this statement from Louv. Being outside allows a child to roam free and experience new things in a constantly changing environment. If a child is kept inside all day there are limits on what can be done, or played with.  Children that are surrounded by walls all day need time to unwind and use up stored energy. If they sit on the couch all day, none of their energy would be used. By running around in a boundless area children can reduce their energy levels in a healthy way, which can create a healthier, happier child. 



"the greener a girl's view from home, the better she concentrates, the less she acts impulsively, and the longer she can delay gratification." (Louv 8)

My View From Home. Photo By Christina Sabella
  I feel that this statement is debatable. I do not agree with this quote for the reason that everyone is different, regardless of where or how they are raised. Using my family as an example, my younger sister and I are 20 months apart, and were raised in the same way, by the same parents, in the same house. We live in a suburban area, however we live on a canal at the boarder of the Sawgrass and always played outside. We were always seeing new animals and learning about nature. I consider myself a “rule follower”, I don’t like to step outside my comfort zone, and I don’t act impulsively. My sister on the other hands is out of bounds, and most definitely not a rule follower in any sense. She acts impulsively and cannot delay gratification. Even though we both grew up with the same amount of “green”, we are both completely different people. This is why I consider this statement to be true only in some cases. 

"To take nature and natural play away from children may be tantamount to withholding oxygen." (Louv 11) 
 
Baby Christina!

I do feel like Louv is exaggerating with this statement, however, I feel it serves its purpose. Louv is stressing that removing environmental and physical play from a child’s life is equal to withholding oxygen. Natural play helps expand a child’s imagination and allows them to explore the world on their own terms. Children who are cooped up inside on electronics are often exposed to violence at an early age. These children have less vivid imaginations than those who are allowed to explore and let their imaginations run wild. I believe natural play can also teach children a lot about the world around them and can help them create a love of nature within themselves. 

 




"contact with nature is as important to children as good nutrition and adequate sleep, then current trends in children's access to nature need to be addressed" (Louv 12)

Image Source: Family Picnic

Ask any pediatrician & they’ll tell you that children need to eat properly, get enough sleep, and enough physical activity to stay healthy, but why don’t they mention time with the environment? I agree with Louv when he says that contact with nature needs to also be addressed. Being outside in the fresh air can help children with many disorders, stressors, or illnesses to cope with these things, relieve stress, and feel better overall. Children spend the majority of their time at home and at school. Free time outside should been seen as essential to a child’s health and implemented regularly during the school day and at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment